Saturday, February 1, 2014

Cloudkicker

I just heard about this band called Cloudkicker. They friggen rule, in case you were wondering. This is how I used my cloud to find Cloudkicker.

I wake up, get out of bed, and start making coffee. This happens in real life. Not the cloud. I open my computer. This is where human reality ends and digital cloudcity begins. Hmm, anything good on metalsucks? Oh look, these bands that are pretty good are going on tour. Look at the dates. No one good ever comes to Higher Ground. Who's opening for them? The Atlas Moth. Go to bandcamp page. Listen to first 45 seconds of song until vocals come in. Ok. Not in to The Atlas Moth. Who else? Cloudkicker. Go to Cloudkicker's bandcamp page. First three minutes of song is just ambient nature noise, so skip three minutes and two seconds in. Woa. Pretty good. Go to youtube, where I find Cloudkicker's latest album, Subsume, in its entirety. Press play, exit cloud, wash dishes for 45 minutes while banging my head and reveling in musical happenstance. Dishes done. Dry hands. Pour more coffee. Re-enter cloud. Go to thepiratebay, see if anyone's sharing any of Cloudkickers music. Cloudkicker discography 2008-2013. DOWNLOAD. Six minutes later, transfer eight Cloudkicker albums into iTunes. Put the one I'm most in to on my iPhone so I can listen to it whenever I need to thrash. Send group text to bandmates telling them to check out Cloudkicker because they friggen rule. Put newest album in my google drive and share with bandmates so they can thrash, too. Exit cloud. Pour more coffee. Press play in iTunes and listen to Cloudkicker "Subsume" again, and finish doing dishes.

Man oh man. What would I do without the cloud? I'd have to watch MTV, which I don't even think plays music anymore, to try to hear about new bands.Or, I could stay up way past my bedtime at concerts of bands I've never heard of, probably just to find out that once they start singing, there's nothing left to like. God forbid I'd actually have to BUY music.

Five years ago, this probably would have looked pretty similar. Some of the names different, but the process the same. Maybe myspace instead of bandcamp for the band's website, and any number of file-sharing sites that have since been shut down instead of thepiratebay.com. Anyone remember Mediafire? All of those .zip and .rar files? Those were the days.

People were definately skecpical about the cloud's potential five years ago. This week's articles looked at an angle I had never considered, though: The clouds ability to generate revenue. When I'm using my google drive, I'm not necessarily thinking of who's pockets are filling up as a result. Is the money I pay my internet provider then paying google? Money is confusing. I have my internet account set up so that my bill is taken straight from my bank account every month. I hardly even think about it, and go about my computing assuming that everything is made available for free by some benevolant compu-diety. Clearly, not the case. Who in the one percent is making a killing as the clouds power and accessibility swells?

Also, I can't tell you how many user agreements I've blown right past in the past month. Borrrrrrrinnnngggggg. What's the worst that could happen, right? A few years back, my gmail account did get compromised, and I was denied access to it. Luckily, I was 19 and had dropped out of school and had nothing important in it. The blow would land a little closer to home today, though, if either someone got in to my account or I lost access to it. As I grow up, and my responsibilities grow with me, I stand to lose more if my cloud gets kicked.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dan!

    I loved reading this. Your writing style is very similar to mine, which leads me to believe we probably have similar personalities also. Plus you're one of the few people I've met who drinks the same quantity of coffee I do. All day long I am rotating between the cloud and coffee. Cloud, coffee, cloud, coffee, rinse, repeat.

    But anyway reading your blog got me thinking about another element of the cloud I neglected to to incorporate into my blog which is discovering music! Like holy shit, how the hell did I ever discover music before the internet? Or rather how would I if there were no such thing? I'd be forced to listen to whatever trite crap they play on the radio (do people still listen to the radio? Like is that a real thing still?) and base my musical evolution on that, which is obviously no evolution at all, but rather a revolving door of repeatedly churned out crap.

    Hey thanks for the refreshing perspective! You should check out my blog too, you might like it :) CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dan,
    It's funny that you today use Pirate Bay when it was my form of music downloading five years ago. I suppose I have adapted from it to the same idea but just finding any old RAR file anywhere I can.
    I have a similar cloud presence int he sense that I too am constantly looking for new music. Or perhaps putting off an assignment to see what a bands up too, five clicks later I'm researching a new band.
    I do like ambient crap though, this was a great background noise band.
    Another funny note, while researching different copyright cases I came across this one: http://rt.com/news/piratebay-sues-copyright-infringement-356/
    When I clicked on the link I assumed it would be a case against the site for distributing copyright material etc etc. However its The site suing someone ripping off their logo. I got a big laugh out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello There!

    Is there even a single person who reads through every user agreement? It's just so many words to tread through, does anyone even have patience to go through it all? It wouldn't surprise me if I accidentally sold my soul to five different sites going through those things.

    I do find it interesting how you seem to have more of a set "schedule" so to speak when it comes to what you get done on the computer. While I like music, I'm simply not the guy who can dedicate my internet adventures to music only. It's a cool little change of pace from what I mostly see people do on the internet. The inclusion of Pirate Bay is also an interesting choice. I don't really do that myself, (too much of a hassle if you ask me) but to each their own I suppose. And don't worry, I'm not about to go all "BLEH PIRATE BAY IS THE DEVIL" on you. That simply isn't fun.

    -Dmitri Freeman

    ReplyDelete